Timber Processing’s May issue features Harrigan Lumber Co., located in Monroeville, Ala., and it’s comeback as a leader in the southern pine lumber community. The issue also highlights the annual Sawmill Capital Expenditure Survey and it’s results for the softwood lumber industry. Other articles discuss the ongoing sawdust controversy and the upcoming Timber Processing & Energy Expo, to be held October 15-17, 2014 in Portland, Ore
Hampton-Babine Fined In BC; Timber Processing Expo Gears Up; Bibler Mill Sold To West Fraser; Coalition Chair Doubts Ruling
Timber Processing magazine Associate Editor Jay Donnell travels to Monroeville, Alabama to visit Harrigan Lumber Co. Harrigan Lumber Co. is one of a declining number of independent family-run sawmills in the Southeast, but the Alabama operation remains a strong force in the region after coming through a difficult period. The company was started in 1972 by William Harrigan and his son, Dwight. They began producing softwood dimension lumber in 1974. Dwight became president when William passed away. Dwight’s oldest son, Chip, joined the company in 1989 and his younger son, Patrick, joined the company after he graduated from Auburn University with a degree in business management. Patrick is now the President of Harrigan Lumber Co. and Chip serves as the chairman of the company board. The family also has interests in Scotch Gulf Lumber, which has three sawmills in Alabama in the process of being sold to Canada’s Canfor.
Timber Processing magazine Editor-In-Chief Rich Donnell discusses the results of the 2014 Sawmill Capital Expenditure Survey. Nearly 79% of softwood lumber producers responding to Timber Processing’s Annual Sawmill Capital Expenditure Survey rated their lumber business situation as excellent or good at the end of the first quarter 2014, and nearly 88% expect their situation to be excellent or good for the remainder of 2014 and through 2015. Another 12% forecast their situation for the remainder of 2014 and 2015 as fair. Not a single producer responding to the survey expects their situation to play out as poor or very poor over the next two years. Timber Processing conducted this survey in late March and early April by e-mailing a sampling of its readership and providing a link to the 25-question survey. The survey was directed toward owners, presidents, general managers, plant managers, supervisors, corporate executives and regional managers.
Pellet markets, biomass power generation and feedstock supplies dominated the discussion during the Bioenergy Fuels & Products Conference & Expo held March 18-19 at the Omni Hotel at CNN Center in Atlanta, Georgia. The event featured 41 speakers and 75 exhibitor companies in the Grand Ballroom North. In total, 325 people participated in the event, which is held every other year and hosted by Wood Bioenergy magazine, an affiliate of Timber Processing magazine. The conference featured eight keynote speakers as well as breakout sessions on New Technologies, Products, Fiber Supply, Fire Safety From Plant to Port, Process Improvements, Industrial Wood Pellets, Air Emissions, Support & Access, and Dust Issues & Control.
(This article, written by Chris Brown, originally appeared in the North Carolina Forestry Association newsletter, TreeLine. It has been edited and updated for publication in this issue of Timber Processing magazine.) H.W. Culp Lumber Co., located in New London, NC, is one of the most established and respected southern yellow pine lumber producing facilities, producing 100MMBF annually. For log supply, the company relies on several top notch logging crews. And while Procurement Manager Ed Listerman, who coordinates these crews, would never rate them, he does not have a hard time distinguishing who has the most seniority. That distinction goes to Hammill Logging and the current operator, Clement Hammill. Clement’s grandfather, Walter Hammill, first started hauling “lumber” to Culp Lumber back in the 1920s.
In this special section, Timber Processing magazine readers comment on the article on mill towns that appeared in the March 2014 issue. John E. Anthony, Chairman of Anthony Timberlands, Inc. in Hot Springs, Ark. says, “The article on the mill towns of yesterday (Timber Processing, March 2014) was without question the most interesting piece I've ever read in Timber Processing; full of intriguing fact and historical trivia that has floated around in the background of the lives of all of us who have been a part of the industry.”
Chugoku Upgrades Edger System; In-Woods Expo Has New Partnership; HewSaw Appoints Halttunen As VP